Soldiers allegedly open fire on civilians

Several people were killed on Sunday, as Nigerian soldiers were said to have opened fire on residents at Orlu Local Council of Imo State.  

It was gathered that the soldiers stormed various communities in the local government in pick-up trucks shortly after nightfall and started shooting sporadically, as they searched for suspected Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) agitators causing mayhem in the state.

It wasn’t clear how many people were killed as of press time, but a source whose neighbour was shot dead by the soldiers said no fewer than four persons had been killed in what appears to be a gross violation of fundamental rights.

“Four people have been killed by the soldiers. They are looked for IPOB members but killing innocent citizens,” he said, pleading anonymity for fear of being attacked. 

When contacted yesterday, Imo State police spokesman, Micheal Abattam, confirmed the incident but said he is not authorised to speak on what transpired. He said, “Since the police were not involved in the incident, I can’t speak. The military should speak on what happened there. I don’t work with them.”

Efforts to reach the military were unsuccessful, as its spokesperson, Onyema Nwachukwu, did not respond to calls and text messages on the incidents and the number of casualties.

IN another development, troops of 34 Artillery Brigade, Nigerian Army (NA), on Easter Sunday, neutralised alleged members of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) and its armed affiliate Eastern Security Network (ESN) at Ihioma community in Orlu Local Council of Imo State.

According to army spokesman, Brig. General Onyema Nwachukwu, “Troops on routine patrol encountered members of the group who fired sporadically at Banana Junction to enforce the illegal sit-at-home order on law abiding citizens going about their legitimate businesses.

0 thoughts on “Soldiers allegedly open fire on civilians

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *